Saturday, April 30, 2011

Rabbits and pigs

We got back to Whisper Canyon on Tuesday PM. That night we were awoken several times by noises under the house. Sounded like pipes being chewed on, some scratching sounds, even sounded like a trap snapping shut but I had not set any traps. So in the morning I check our water heater closet and caught a baby cotton tail rabbit inside. There was a pile of fiberglass insulation that had been pulled out of the  heater. Well I did not move it far enough away.
Second time I caught this one
So today I checked again and caught the small rabbit again. This time I moved it to near the water tank. Drove by a few hours latter and he was still near where I dropped him off.
     About a week ago I mounted a game camera to a tree at the east end of Kavanaugh creek. Late afternoon Jennifer and I drove into the canyon, walked to the east end and exchanged data cards. I new I had 10 pictures taken during the week but thought it might be just deer.
We had been seeing tracks of a lone pig. You can see that he is moving briskly here. The camera is fun because you get so much information stamped on the picture. It also took 2 pictures of turkeys . I think the wind and moving branches triggered some of the pictures. Jennifer and I delight in caring for this camp.
    We had 18 men from Los Osos enjoying a men's retreat this weekend. Spent a little time with them in a short hike into the canyon. Mostly our responsibility is on the janitorial side when groups come. We see our job as preparing the camp so that the spirit can move with ease.